This is a super simple recipe. What makes it healthier than your average french toast is that it is made with sprouted grain bread, which works surprisingly well for french toast. My son loves this so much that it was his birthday breakfast when he turned 3.
Here are the ingredients. You can use any sprouted grain bread (usually found in the frozen section of your grocery store), my favorite for this recipe is Alvarado Street Bakery Sprouted Sourdough Bread or California Style Protein. I also use organic free range eggs, organic cinnamon, real vanilla extract (not pictured) and real maple syrup (of course!)
I always add one more egg than number of pieces of toast you want, so for 8 pieces of french toast I would use 9 eggs.
- 8 slices of sprouted grain bread
- 9 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup organic whole milk
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey
- optional: 1/2 tsp cinnamon or 1/2 tsp orange zest
- unsalted butter or coconut oil for cooking
- 1 cup blueberries or other fruit for serving
- Real maple syrup for serving
- Yields 4 servings of 2 pieces of French Toast each
- Defrost the bread in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Mix together all other ingredients (eggs through zest) in a 9 X 12 baking dish. Soak bread pieces in the mixture for at least one minute, flipping bread halfway. While the bread is soaking preheat a griddle on medium-low heat. Add butter or oil to the griddle. Cook each piece of toast 1-2 minutes each side until nicely browned. Serve with maple syrup and berries. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this Healthy French Toast recipe! I haven’t yet made enough to freeze for later reheating– Let me know if you try that and how it works. What’s your favorite healthy breakfast?